(Photo Credits: Screengrab from MTV’s Official YouTube Account)
Hey, guys! Our hottie of the day is 22-year-old Filipino-American vlogger, beauty influencer, and social media personality Bretman Rock. He currently has his own reality TV show called MTV’s Following: Bretman Rock which premiered on MTV’s official YouTube channel last February 9, 2021.
Here are some of the things we learned about Bretman Rock:
- Bretman Rock is not just a moniker or stage name of sorts. His real full name is Bretman Rock Sacayanan Laforga. His father, Edmund Laforga, was a pro wrestling fan and he named him after pro wrestlers Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart and Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.
- Though he is now based in Honolulu, Hawaii, Bret was born and raised in Sanchez Mira, Cagayan—a province in the Philippines. Their family moved to Hawaii when he was only seven years old.
- He was in the eighth grade when he started making YouTube and Vine videos though it won’t be until he was in high school that he found success. He rose to fame when, in 2015, one of his YouTube videos titled “How to Contour” went viral.
- Bretman Rock credited his success to his parents and family who have been supportive all throughout his journey. He said in an interview with the Philippine Star: “I don’t know what my life would be if my parents didn’t accept me the way that they do.”
Further, Bretman Rock shared that although his dad came from a very religious family, “he was actually the first one who bought and let me play with Barbies.” He also added that the first makeup he ever used was his mom’s, and “she never once said, ‘Oh, you’re so gay for doing that.'”
- His beauty inspiration was his grandmother. When he was 4 or 5 years old, he would watch her put some make up on while getting ready for church. Bret said during an interview with HelloGiggles, “It was a cool process to watch how makeup would make her feel when she put it on, and the confidence it gave her.”
- Bret is obsessed with crystals plus he loves reading and gardening (Perhaps the beach as well, going by the many perfect beach pictures he has).
- Bretman Rock’s favorite Filipino superhero is Darna whose costume he recreated in one of his vlogs way back in 2018.
- In one of his mukbang videos, Bretman Rock said that his favorite childhood food is Lucky Me! It’s a pancit canton brand from the Philippines (Pancit canton is a Filipino stir-fried noodles; it is also called Egg noodles simply because it is made from wheat-flour egg noodles).
Anyway, Bretman Rock said that he grew up eating pancit canton whenever there was nothing to eat. He reiterated though that he still would consume it even if there were other food on the table simply because he loves it. In fact, he loves pancit canton so much that he could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- His first love, he says, is actually fitness not beauty. “Before I fell in love with beauty, I fell in love with fitness first,” he told PopSugar. “Ever since I was a child, I was always upside down, running around, or hanging somewhere; I was always signed up for sports like soccer, volleyball, cross country, and the love of my life: track.”
- He is unapologetically queer. Though he wouldn’t call himself an activist, Bret said he thinks he “live the fight for LGBTQ rights everyday by just living honestly and openly and showing people it’s okay to be different.”
- Bretman Rock is proud of his roots and when asked regarding his feelings about representing Pinoys in beauty, he told HelloGiggles, “I feel great to show the beauty of Filipinos (they are some of the brightest people in the world) because we are underrated and have the stereotype of being poor or ugly, especially in Asia. I want to prove that Filipinos can do things just the same as others, if not better — and cuter.”
- Can’t get enough of Bretman Rock? You can check him out on his social media pages. Today, Bret has 8.29M YouTube subscribers, 5.6M followers on Twitter, and 15.5M followers on his Instagram account.