(Photo Credits: Screengrab from Lizzo Music’s YouTube Account)
We can’t get enough of Lizzo. We heard her song titled Cuz I Love You, which is the title track of her upcoming studio album due for release this April and we can’t wait to hear the rest. Critics are calling Cuz I Love You, “fiery,” “stunning,” and her vocals, “incredible” but wow, she wrote it with help from @XAmbassadors in just 10 minutes!
But who is Lizzo, you ask?
This emerging star is an American rapper and singer, who, according to Ellen DeGeneres is an artist we need to know and we couldn’t agree more. Lizzo performed on The Ellen Show last month and got everybody on their feet, clapping and dancing.
Jimmy Fallon, on the other hand, said Lizzo is one of his favorite new artists.
Fans, however, pointed out that Lizzo isn’t really new in the music scene. In fact, Cuz I Love You is her third studio album but at the same time, they said they are happy because she is now getting the recognition she deserves. Here are some facts about Lizzo that you need to know.
- Lizzo worked with Prince in 2014 on his track called Boytrouble, the seventh track on his album with 3rdEyeGirl called Plectrumelectrum. She described the experience as “surreal” and “almost like a fairytale,” something that, Lizo said, she will “never actually get over.”
2. She appeared as a guest judge on the tenth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race where Monét and Kameron lip-synced to “Good As Hell,” a single from Lizzo’s EP Coconut Oil.
3. Lizzo is “not just an ally,” according to Teen Vogue. When the magazine asked Lizzo about her sexuality and gender, her response was, “When it comes to sexuality or gender, I personally don’t ascribe to just one thing. I cannot sit here right now and tell you I’m just one thing.” Lizzo added, “That’s why the colors for LGBTQ+ are a rainbow! Because there’s a spectrum and right now we try to keep it black and white. That’s just not working for me.”
4. The themes of Lizzo’s songs are always that of empowerment, self-love, sexuality, body-positivity, believing in one’s self, and gender-inclusivity.
5. According to The Guardian, when she was 21, Lizzo lived in her car for a year as “she tried to break into the music industry in the wake of the death of her father” and had fallen into depression as a result.
6. Lizzo is a classically trained flutist and had listened to several musical genres such as pop, indie, classic rock, and gospel while growing up owing to her family’s varied tastes in music.
7. Her song, Boys, is a”love letter to the lovers. An ode to boys who like boys and girls who like boys. A bop for girls who like girls…for the them’s they’s and non-comformists.“
Lizzo will go on tour this April to promote her album. You may purchase Cuz I Love You and check out her tour schedule here.