(Photo Credits: Screengrab from Television Academy’s YouTube Account)
The 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards was held September 20, 2020, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, there was no live audience and the winners delivered their acceptance speeches via videos shot from their homes and hotels.
The celebration was a departure from the norm but host Jimmy Kimmel did not lose his sense of humor. He opened the ceremony to seats filled with cardboard cutouts of the nominees and called the 2020 edition of the Emmy Awards the PandEmmys.
Both Schitt’s Creek and RuPaul’s Drag Race made history at the Emmys this year!
RuPaul’s Drag Race won the Emmy for Outstanding Competition Program for the third consecutive year. If you’re living under a rock, RuPaul’s Drag Race is an American reality competition television series in search for “America’s next drag superstar.”
In addition to the aforementioned award, RuPaulbroke Emmys record for most wins in the Competition Host category by winning his fifth consecutive Emmys in the Television Academy’s Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program category.
RuPaul just broke the Emmys record for most wins in the Competition Host category, and dedicated the victory to Chi Chi DeVayne.— Joey Nolfi (@joeynolfi) September 20, 2020
With 5 consecutive wins, we only have 69 more until this is considered a *sensible* 74 honors to match Ru’s excellence. https://t.co/XijMnl0SKx pic.twitter.com/bcyPQPoNtM
RuPaul’s main message during his acceptance speech was to spread love—to the LGBTQ brothers and sisters, the Black and Brown Queens, and the United States of America.
He also encouraged fans to register on vote.gov and to go “vote for your life” on the 2020 United States presidential election this November 3.
RuPaul closed his speech by dedicating his victory to the late drag queen Chi Chi DeVayne who competed on the eighth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race and the third season of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars. Chi Chi DeVayne passed away this August 20, 2020 from kidney failure, a complication from her heath condition called scleroderma.
RuPaul’s Drag Race also won the following Emmys this year:
- Outstanding Casting For A Reality Program
- Outstanding Picture Editing For A Structured Reality Or Competition Program
- Outstanding Contemporary Hairstyling For A Variety, Nonfiction Or Reality Program
- Outstanding Contemporary Makeup For A Variety, Nonfiction Or Reality Program (Non-Prosthetic)
Meanwhile, Dan and Eugene Levy’s Schitt’s Creek racked up nine Emmys including the one for the Outstanding Comedy Series and Writing for a Comedy Series (Dan Levy). Schitt’s Creek made history by becoming the first-ever comedy or drama series to sweep the four acting categories.
The following complete the list of Schitt’s Creek’s wins this 2020:
- Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (Andrew Cividino and Dan Levy)
- Outstanding Contemporary Costumes
- Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Dan Levy, who plays David Rose the spoiled son of the Rose family)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Annie Murphy, who plays Alexis, the spoiled daughter of the Rose family and the younger sister of David Rose)
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Catherine O’Hara, who plays Moira Rose, the matriarch of the Rose family)
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Eugene Levy, who plays Johnny Rose, the patriarch of the Rose family)
This Canadian television sitcom follows the story of the formerly filthy-rich Rose family who relocated in Schitt’s Creek’s Rosebud Hotelafter they had gone bankrupt. It’s a multi-awarded show lauded as a “role model for queer families” because of their positive LGBTQ representations.
Schitt’s Creek won the 2020 Dorian TV Awards for Best LGBTQ TV Show while last year, Dan Levy received the GLAAD Davidson/Valentini Award which is “presented to an LGBTQ media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting acceptance for the LGBTQ community.”
Dan Levy’s character David also garnered attention for being “one of the first openly pansexual characters depicted on television.” David marries his beau Patrick in Schitt’s Creek’s final episode.
Check out the complete list of 2020 Emmy Awards nominees and winners here.
During the Emmys “In Memoriam” segment, Grammy award-winning singer H.E.R. delivered an emotional performance of Nothing Compares 2 U to honor the people we’ve lost so far this 2020—writers, actors, directors, etc. including Naya Rivera, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Chadwick Boseman.
Check out some of the netizen’s reactions to the 2020 Emmy Awards:
— Miranda J. (@randa_writes) September 21, 2020