(Photo Credits: Screengrab from MTV’s Official YouTube Account)
After last year’s socially distanced affair, the MTV Video Music Awards 2021 celebrated its 37th annual VMAs at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. this September 12, 2021.
American rapper and singer Doja Cat—who also won the Best Collaboration for Kiss Me More ft. SZA (she was also featured in Saweetie’s Best Art Direction winning song Best Friend)—hosted the event. The three-hour long ceremony featured performances from the likes of Lil Nas X, Alicia Keys, Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, Olivia Rodrigo, Twenty One Pilots, Camilla Cabello, and Shawn Mendes, among others.
Below are some of the awardees, the best in the music video medium in this year’s VMAs, as well as some of our favorite moments:
- BTS won the Group of the Year award, the Best K-pop for Butter which also won the Song of Summer. They now have 9 VMAs since 2019. BTS, short for Bangtan Boys, has seven members namely Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook. The South Korean boy band debuted in 2013.
"Army, this is ALL possible thanks to you guys" 💜 Congrats again to @BTS_twt on winning Group of the Year tonight at the #VMAs! pic.twitter.com/YrshmTWi2x— Video Music Awards (@vmas) September 13, 2021
- Filipino American Olivia Rodrigo won big with her Best New Artist award. She also won the Song of the Year and the Push Performance of the Year VMAs for her song drivers license.
- Bretman Rock, who presented Group of the Year with Tinashe, rocked his outfit—the very same dress that Aaliyah wore on VMAs 21 years earlier.
.@bretmanrock absolutely SERVED tonight on the #VMAs red carpet!!! pic.twitter.com/TcVsEyf434— Video Music Awards (@vmas) September 13, 2021
Bretman said on his Instagram account:
No one will ever rock it like Aaliyah 🐯 Thank you so much @roberto_cavalli for letting me wear this special piece.. I never thought I would ever be able to wear this, let alone be in the VMAs, when they said I could wear it I literally cried of disbelief… I love Aaliyah and am so honored to have been able to wear this 21 years after her. We love you
- Madonna and Cyndi Lauper delighted fans to no end with their appearance at the VMAs 2021. Madonna introduced the Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber while Cyndi Lauper presented Best Pop Video.
I Haven’t Watched MTV or the VMAs in 20 Years But When 80s Artists Appear, I Tune in. #CyndiLauper #Madonna #Music #MTV #VMAs pic.twitter.com/l7nyA8vgIf— 80sThen80sNow (@80sThen80sNow) September 13, 2021
- Justin Bieber took the top prize by winning the Artist of the Year award. He won the Best Pop as well for his song Peaches ft. Daniel Caesar, Giveon.
- Lil Nas X won big at this year’s VMAs. He won Video of the Year for his song Montero (Call Me by Your Name). This song also won him the Best Visual Effects as well as the Best Direction which he shares with Tanu Muino.
Lil Nas X performed Industry Baby and Montero during the program with Jack Harlow. They were introduced by none other than Billy Porter. Watch their epic performance below:
And can we just take a moment to appreciate Lil Nas X’s red carpet look? Because he was serving looks as always!
#lilnasx as Prince and Rick James.momma we made it 🤣🤣😜 #VMAs pic.twitter.com/iCEvIhEZyg— twinzs (@twinzs40) September 13, 2021