(Photo Credits: Office of the Attorney General of California / Public domain)
You’ve all probably heard by now that former Vice President Joe Biden—presumptive Democratic presidential nominee—has chosen Senator Kamala Harris as his vice-presidential running mate.
But who is Kamala Harris? Here is what we know about her so far:
I have the great honor to announce that I’ve picked @KamalaHarris — a fearless fighter for the little guy, and one of the country’s finest public servants — as my running mate.— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) August 11, 2020
- Harris made history in 2016 when she became the first Indian American as well as the second African American woman elected to the US Senate
- She is reportedly the “first Black woman to be nominated by either major party for vice president” and the third woman in the United States history to be nominated as vice president of a major party. The first was Geraldine Ferraro in 1984 and the second one was Sarah Palin in 2008
- Harris served as California’s attorney general from 2011 to 2017. She was the first woman and the first African American to hold the post
- Her husband, Douglas Emhoff, is a lawyer. She has two stepchildren named Cole and Ella, the former has reportedly gained the attention of gay men for being a hottie.
- She graduated from middle school and high school in the United States’ neighbor Canada—right here in Adam4Adam’s hometown Montréal to be exact.
- Harris is a first-generation American. Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was a cancer researcher from India while her father, Donald Harris, is a Stanford University emeritus professor of economics from Jamaica. She has a sister named Maya; their parents met at UC Berkeley while working on their graduate degrees.
- According to Business Insider, Kamala Harris supports legalized same-sex marriage. You can read more about it here. She also “supported transgender people’s right to use the bathroom of their choice during her time as attorney general.” And she “created a hate-crimes unit to prosecute crimes against LGBTQ youth” as San Francisco district attorney.
#WinWithBlackWomen It’s time. The world is watching- and so are we. Write Kamala Harris into history – because she is qualified, deserved, and in this moment prepared to lead. We expect what America deserves. pic.twitter.com/qZR5jzqUl1— Juanita Brent (@Juanita_Brent) August 11, 2020
I’ve known Senator @KamalaHarris for a long time. She is more than prepared for the job. She’s spent her career defending our Constitution and fighting for folks who need a fair shake. This is a good day for our country. Now let’s go win this thing. pic.twitter.com/duJhFhWp6g— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) August 11, 2020