News: 11 Million Americans Identify As LGBTQ
Image credit: patrickblackjr on Pixabay
If you ever feel like you’re alone as an LGBTQ individual, know that that probably isn’t true — there are millions of us out there/ According to the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, there are around 11.3 million adults in the United States who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. That translates to about 4.5 percent of U.S. adults.
Broken down, 58 percent if that 11.3 million are females while the remaining 42 percent are males. Whites make up 58 percent of the population, while Latino/as and African-Americans make up 21 percent and 12 percent respectively. The LGBTQ population also tends to skew younger, with an average age of 37.3. The average age of non-LGBTQ individuals is 47.9.
When it comes to the size of their LGBTQ population, Washington D.C., Oregon, Nevada Massachusetts, and California have the highest percentage. The states with the lowest percentage are Indiana, Georgia, Delaware, Arizona, and Ohio.
The economic situation of LGBTQ people is a much less rosy situation, according to the study. Compared to non-LGBTQ people, there are more unemployed, uninsured, and food insecure LGBTQ people. Twenty-five percent of the LGBTQ population have an income that is less than $24,000.
This increase in the number of LGBTQ adults in the United States is a continuing trend. In 2016, an estimated 10 million Americans identified as LGBTQ, which at the time was a 1.75 million rise since 2012. As stated in a report posted on the Adam4Adam blog previously, the reason for these increases is because same-sex relations are now more accepted compared to previous generations. Back in 1986, same-sex marriage were supported by less than half of the population, while in 2016, 68 percent of the population were in favor.
What do you guys think of these numbers? Would you agree that there are more LGBTQ people that are unemployed, uninsured, and food insecure? Share your thoughts with us below.