(Photo Credits: Oscars’ Official YouTube Account)
The 95th Academy Awards was held on March 12, 2023, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The awards—hosted by Jimmy Kimmel—honor films released in 2022. The biggest winner of the night was the movie Everything Everywhere All at Once which won seven awards, including Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor. Meanwhile, All Quiet on the Western Front won four awards, and The Whale went home with two (Best Makeup and Hairstyling and Best Actor).
Here are our favorite moments during Oscars 2023:
- Nicole Kidman and Halle Berry both looked regal and stunning in their gowns.
- Austin Butler, a first-time Academy Award nominee in the best actor category for Elvis, looks handsome and dapper in his Saint Laurent tuxedo.
- Rihanna performs Lift Me Up from the 2022 movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever starring Michael B. Jordan, Letitia Wright, and Angela Bassett to name a few. Lift Me Up was an Academy Award nominee for Best Music (Original Song).
- Lady Gaga performs her song Hold My Hand from Tom Cruise’s 2022 action/adventure movie Top Gun: Maverick. Hold My Hand was one of the nominees for Best Music (Original Song).
- Janelle Monáe stole the red carpet with her black and orange ensemble, reportedly a custom Vera Wang.
- Michelle Yeoh makes history for being the first Asian woman to win the Oscar for best actress. In her acceptance speech, she said:
“For all the little boys and girls who look like me watching tonight, this is a beacon of hope and possibilities. This is proof that dreams do come true. And ladies, don’t let anybody tell you, you’re ever past your prime. Never give up!”
- Ke Huy Quan won an Oscar at the 95th Academy Awards for best supporting actor for the movie Everything Everywhere All at Once. In his speech, he said in part, “Mom, I just won an Oscar!”
Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan make Oscars history for being the first two Asian actors to win in the same year, reportedly a first in Academy Awards’ 95 years.
- Real-life couple Sabrina Dhowre Elba and Idris Elba on the red carpet looked chic and beautiful.
- Lady Gaga turned heads on the red carpet, not only because she looked magnificent in her black Versace dress, but because she ran to the side of the photographer who fell on the red carpet and helped him up.
- Brendan Fraser wins the best actor for The Whale.
“I’m grateful to Darren Aronofsky for throwing me a creative lifeline and hauling me aboard the good ship ‘The Whale,’” Fraser said during his acceptance speech. “That was written by Samuel D. Hunter who is our lighthouse. Gentleman, you laid your whale-sized hearts bare so that we could see into your souls like no one else could do. It is my honor to be named alongside you in this category. I want to tell you that only whales can swim at the depth of talent of Hong Chau [fellow nominee].”