Music: Highlights from 2019 Billboard Music Awards
(Photo Credits: Screengrab from Madonna’s YouTube Account)
Did you watch the 2019 Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs), guys? If so, let us know below what your favorite moments are. If you hadn’t had the opportunity to watch it, well, worry not as we’re summarizing here for you our favorite performances and moments from the 2019 BBMAs.
- Madonna and Colombian singer Maluma’s performance of “Medellín.” We only have one word to describe their number and its ‘perfection.’ Madonna dancing with digital versions of herself was quite the spectacle (she reportedly paid $5 million for it). Fans can’t stop gushing about the hologram projections of Madonna and just how sexy the duo is.
- Taylor Swift and pansexual singer songwriter Brendon Urie opened the show with a bubbly performance of their brand-new single called “ME!” I loved the marching band, the colorful outfits and briefcases, and Brendon Urie’s Mary Poppins-esque entrance.
- Host Kelly Clarkson poked fun at an incident on last month’s Academy of Country Music Awards show where a security mistook her as a seat-filler and asked her to move. Watch her skit with Terry Crews below.
- Canadian rapper Drake outdid himself (and many other artists for that matter) by walking away with both the Top Male Artist and the Top Artist awards. By nabbing 12 awards out of his whopping 17 Billboard nominations, he was considered not only the biggest winner for this year’s BBMAs but also the most-awarded artist at the BBMAs of all time with a total of 27 wins.
- Cardi B won six awards including Rap Female Artist, Top Rap Song, Hot 100 Song, Collaboration, Radio Song, and Top Selling Song. Watch her acceptance speech for Top Rap Song below.
- BTS and Halsey performed their hit song “Boy With Luv” amidst a sea of screaming fans. The Bangtan boys, composed of Jungkook, V (Kim Tae-hyung), Jimin, Suga, Jin, RM, and J-Hope, also won the Social Artist and Duo/Group Awards.
- Mariah Carey received this year’s Icon Award and delivered an epic performance, a medley of her hits that made the crowd dance and sing-along with joy.
Six of Mariah Carey’s albums landed No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. She also has had a total of 18 number-one hit singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart not to mention that she holds the record (along with Elvis Presley) of most cumulative weeks at number one in the Hot 100 chart with a total of 79 weeks. Check out her Billboard chart history here.
Hosted by Kelly Clarkson, the 2019 Billboard Music Awards was held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas last Wednesday night. See the complete list of winners here.