(Photo Credits: Screengrab from Logitech’s Official YouTube Account)
Did you watch Super Bowl LV this Sunday, guys? Not only did Tampa Bay Buccaneers won against Kansas City Chiefs 31-9, the Buccaneers also made history for becoming the first team ever to play and win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. What’s more is that the Buccaneers’ quarterback Tom Brady, who was named Super Bowl MVP, won his seventh Vince Lombardi Trophy—the most by any player in the National Football League (NFL) history.
Though the game is the main attraction, the halftime show is just as big a deal. The Pepsi Super Bowl LV Halftime Show was performed by Canadian singer the Weeknd by the way, and you can watch his performance above, enjoy!
But then, there are the advertisements as well. Every year, there are LGBTQ-representing ads, though there are only five this year which is a lot less than the 11 commercials shown in 2020 (likely due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
On this note, GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis encouraged companies to create more LGBTQ-inclusive ads in a statement. She said, “More brands should now step up year round, as including LGBTQ people in ads is good for business and good for the world.”
Ellis added, “GLAAD is working to grow the quality and the quantity of LGBTQ people in advertising, as it can have a profound impact on LGBTQ visibility and acceptance, especially during cultural events like the Super Bowl.”
Watch the commercials below and don’t forget to tell us your favorite in the comments section:
- Eat Local by Uber Eats – American rapper, songwriter, and openly bisexual actress Cardi B appeared in this commercial with Wayne’s World stars Mike Myers and Dana Carvey who encouraged viewers to support local restaurants.
- Come Together by M&M’S – Openly gay actor Dan Levy from Schitt’s Creek was in this year’s M&M’S Super Bowl commercial which is about how people can make a situation better by apologizing with, well, M&M’S what else?
- Sweet Victory by Paramount+ Expedition – American drag queen and television personality RuPaul was featured in this commercial along with Patrick Stewart, Young Sheldon, Beavis and Butt-Head, and Dora the Explorer to name a few. This means that starting March 4, the Drag Race franchise as well as the other aforementioned series, will now be streamed on Paramount Plus, replacing CBS All Access.
- Happy by Michelob ULTRA – Are you happy because you win, or do you win because you’re happy? This advertisement features Billie Jean King, an openly bisexual former professional tennis star.
- Defy Logic by the technology company Logitech – Old Town rapper Lil Nas X was featured in this inspirational commercial alongside a number of young artists, creators, streamers, dreamers, entrepreneurs, and activists.
In Defy Logic, you will hear Lil Nas X’s brand new single called Montero (Call Me By Your Name) as well.
“I got my start posting my songs and videos on social media; it opened up the world to me,” Lil Nas X said of the advert in a statement. “Logitech and I both want to support creators who are not afraid to be themselves, who need to speak their mind and share their passion.”