(Photo Credits: Screengrab from ABC’s Official YouTube Account)
Did you watch the American Music Awards (AMAs) last night, guys?
Hosted by Taraji P. Henson, the AMAs was aired live on Sunday night from The Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. The show featured performances from the likes of Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, Jennifer Lopez and Maluma, Megan Thee Stallion, the Weeknd with Kenny G, Dan + Shay, Katy Perry who trended on Twitter alongside with BTS, among many others.
Here are our favorite moments from last night’s American Music Awards and please feel free to post yours in the comments section:
- Katy Perry’s touching performance of Only Love, which she dedicated to her dad,trended on Twitter. The song, which featured Darius Rucker, also reportedly re-entered iTunes US at #187, following her performance at the AMAs.
- BTS – the group won two AMAs: the Favorite Social Artist category as well as the Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock award. They performed two of their songs titled Life Goes On and Dynamite.
The popular South Korean boy band—which is composed of members Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook—is pretty busy these days. BTS had just released their latest album titled BE (Deluxe Edition) last Friday. They are also fresh from their weeklong takeover at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- Canadian artist Justin Bieber sang two of his hit singles titled Lonely and Holy before performing his latest single with fellow Canadian Shawn Mendes called Monster.
Bieber took home three awards for this year’s AMAs namely the Favorite Male Artist – Pop/Rock category, Favorite Song – Country category for his song with Dan + Shay titled 10,000 Hours which also won them the Collaboration of the Year award.
- Jennifer Lopez smoldered during her performance of Pa’ Ti and Lonely with Maluma at the 2020 American Music Awards. Donning a sexy black sheer catsuit and sporting a shorter hair, J.Lo’s number was described as “risque” and reportedly freaked out ABC censors.
- Taylor Swift is the biggest AMAs winner this year. Not only did she win three awards, she also holds the record for the “most AMA career wins by a single artist with 32,” according to CNN. Swift won the most coveted Artist of the Year category along with the Favorite Female Artist – Pop/Rock and Favorite Music Video award for her song from Folklore called Cardigan.
In her acceptance speech, Swift explained why she was unable to accept the award in person. She said, “The reason I’m not there tonight is I’m actually recording all of my old music in the studio where we originally recorded it.” She added, “So, it’s been amazing, and I can’t wait for you to hear it.”