(Photo Credits: Screengrab from Time’s Official YouTube Account)
Did you watch the recently concluded Oscars 2022, guys? If so, what are your favorite moments?
If you are not up-to-date, the 94th Academy Awards—which was held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on March 27, 2022—was hosted by Regina Hall, Amy Schumer, and Wanda Sykes. The big winners of the night were Jessica Chastain and Will Smith who won the best actress and actor awards in a leading role respectively. “CODA” bagged the Academy Award for best picture while “Encanto” won the best animated feature film. Meanwhile, “Dune” took home six Oscars including the one for best cinematography and best visual effects.
Here are the unforgettable moments during the Oscars 2022:
- Will Smith, who finally won the best actor award for King Richard on his third nomination, slapped Chris Rock over the joke the latter made about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair.
“Jada, I love you, G.I. Jane 2, can’t wait to see it,” Rock said, referring to Pinkett-Smith’s shaved head. And the rest, as they say, is history. Watch the exact moment as it unfolded below:
Here's the moment Chris Rock made a "G.I. Jane 2" joke about Jada Pinkett Smith, prompting Will Smith to punch him and yell, "Leave my wife’s name out of your f–king mouth." #Oscars pic.twitter.com/kHTZXI6kuL— Variety (@Variety) March 28, 2022
For its part, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences issued a statement after the incident saying that they do not condone violence of any form.
The Academy does not condone violence of any form.— The Academy (@TheAcademy) March 28, 2022
Tonight we are delighted to celebrate our 94th Academy Awards winners, who deserve this moment of recognition from their peers and movie lovers around the world.
- Kristen Stewart stole the show with her Chanel tuxedo and shorts. She later changed into another Chanel outfit, a see-through gown, for the Vanity Fair Oscars after-party.
the way kristen stewart served BOTH in one night. she's an icon, she's a legend and she is the moment. pic.twitter.com/YREFnfLwRq— laura (@comcswim) March 28, 2022
She was also seen at the Academy Awards red carpet with fiancée Dylan Meyer.
- Ariana DeBose made history as the first Afro Latina and openly queer actor of color to win the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in “West Side Story.”
"To anybody who has ever questioned your identity or you find yourself living in the gray spaces…I promise you this: there is indeed a place for us," Ariana DeBose says during her #Oscars acceptance speech.https://t.co/YILAwH0cbk pic.twitter.com/UbSXyJZ3EM— Variety (@Variety) March 28, 2022
- Troy Kotsur, the star of CODA, makes Oscars history as the first Deaf man to win in acting. He took home the Best Supporting Actor award.
- Timothée Chalamet’s attention grabbing Louis Vuitton getup, and with a face like his, it’s no wonder that Twitter exploded at the sight of him.
- Lady Gaga’s heartwarming moment with Liza Minnelli, and can we gush for a moment about how beautiful Lady Gaga is in her Tuxedo?